Together Dementia Support
18-22 May is Dementia Awareness Week. With this, on our website this week we have been focussing on groups we have funded that help people suffering with Dementia.
The latest group is Together Dementia Support, based in Chorlton and working across South Manchester.
Together Dementia Support is a newly formed not-for-profit company, which aims to provide community-based support and activity groups for people with dementia and their carers.
Why the group exist:
- They know that those living with dementia in the mild-moderate stage, need and want a range of accessible, community based activities to maintain skills and hobbies, build supportive local networks, stay physically active, and boost self-esteem and confidence.
- Those who care for people living with the condition are likely to feel isolated, unsupported and experience higher levels of stress. They need to feel empowered, to learn coping strategies and have the knowledge to access welfare benefits and other support services.
What they do:
- The group offers high quality activities for people living with Dementia and their carers, accommodating the wide range of backgrounds and interests that people may have.
- Friendship and Activity Group- Moss Side- primarily for the benefit of people with dementia but also allow carers some respite. We offer a range of leisure, practical and arts activities along with opportunities for people to talk about their dementia and discuss coping strategies.
- Walk & Talk Group- Alexandra Park- enabling and encouraging people with dementia and their carers to enjoy the outdoors and exercise and renew an interest in nature.
- Carers Drop-in – Chorlton- offering a therapeutic space for carers to come on a Tuesday evening to meet and talk to other carers, seek information and advice.
If you or your family have been affected by Dementia, help us to help more groups like Together Dementia Support and their volunteers, who work on an entirely voluntary basis to improve the lives of people suffering with Dementia and their families. DONATE TODAY to make a difference in your area.